(Repost from my old blog from when I started Twitter):
Welcome to covering all things new when starting social media. All of us have different reasons to having any kind of social media and for me it is to promote my writing (blogging and eventual book on my personal growth/abuse story) and my art that I do for therapy and enjoyment and sometime sell.
The first thing that I want to say is that for me this was extremely overwhelming, and I did it alone, so please don’t think that I don’t get anxious or extremely frustrated. I think that we all look at everyone else doing this and think that they do it so easily. But the reality is that most don’t. There are some amazing, talented incredible people out there on social media, but they make up a small minority of what you see. So as you go forward on this journey please remember a bunch of things:
- Many of these people who appear to do well have been doing it for a long time, and all of them struggled at the beginning.
- All of them would have made many mistakes along the way and you will too. Please don’t get stressed when you make them, I will be here for you at each step of the way and no one will notice almost all of your mistakes (and the ones that they do see, are fixable).
- Many of them look like they have a following but they are mostly friends and family and many people on social media have built up big accounts but then leave them sitting there.
- Nothing can’t be changed or fixed.
My number one advice going forward is that you take it slow. If you make a major mistake (sorry, change that to WHEN you make a major mistake), and only a dozen of us here see it, then it has little to no impact going forward. But if you race ahead and get a bunch of follows and make a mistake and lose a bunch of them, then you need to start again. So:
- Foundations First! Over the next few weeks we will be building your social media platforms, but not telling everyone you know about them. For the first week at least, have no more than one or two people following you, and if it is me and anyone else who is part of this, then we can see each other and help each other. Don’t add anyone else at this point. We will be working around getting you completely comfortable with your tiny network
- Then the structure: Once you have opened accounts and you have only a small handful of connections, we can work on building each platform so that it works for you. There is so much information out there it is scary, so we will be working around getting you completely comfortable with your own site, how you decorate it, what you would like to aim it at, what your audience will be and how to dress it up.